Sunday, September 14, 2008

Porch Delivery

A couple of early mornings ago, the girls and I were delivering papers together. I received notice that one of my customers turned 80 and could no longer walk to the front of her driveway to pick up her paper. The request for a "porch service" didn't sit well with me, but it did say she was 80.

When I pulled into her driveway, I believed that it turned slightly and went in front of her home. I quickly realized that wasn't the case when my lights shone on the beautifully manacured grass...and I was in the middle of it. I was so upset about leaving tire marks on her lawn that the only notice that there was a chain link fence behind me was when I heard the loud sound of plastic bumper to metal. With the girls screaming in the back, and me surpressing inappropriate language, I stopped the car soon enough that I only flattened the fence so that it was parallel with the ground...(Flat, Ha!) Luckily, I was able to straighten the fence back up and it looked good as new. I then said a little prayer that the customer was really 80 years old and that she wouldn't be strong enough to walk out of her home and that she couldn't see far enough away to notice the tire marks on her lawn. Sadly, I didn't receive any confirmation that my prayer would be answered.

The next day, I was happy to see that the tire marks had been covered by the grass and there was no sign of my passing. Thank you for small miracles. Don't you think such a story could be shared in testimony meeting? Not!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to see you are blogging. New generational way of keeping a Journal ... :) Dad